Now we need thousands marching to pressure politicians to stop being bought off by oil, coal, gas, and utility companies. Sustainable power is possible: Texas and Germany get much of their power from wind turbines and solar panels now. We just need to stop oil, gas, coal, and utility companies from corrupting, intimidating, and bribing politicians to allow these companies to dump their CO2 in to the air, causing more extreme floods, fires, hurricanes, droughts, higher temperatures, a projected sea level rise of 10 feet, a 30% increase in ocean acidity, and extinctions.
- carbon taxes
- increases in solar power, efficiency, and conservation
- organizing to get universities, cities, churches and synagogues to sell their stocks
- more support for green politicians
- municipalization of electric utilities
- tidal power
- zoning laws that favor wind and solar power
- campaign finance reform
- jobs in increasing insulation and efficiency
- in general, actions that make it immoral and illegal for oil gas, and coal companies to destroy the earth
Recent climate change successes, from “A Big Win for Divestment” by Tim Dickinson in the June 5th, 2014 issue of Rolling Stone:
- Stanford students organized votes of their senate, a referendum, and organized alumni to pressure Stanford to divest its endowment from stocks in coal companies.
- Seattle and San Francisco are purging their portfolios from climate killing stocks.
Posted on June 3, 2014